Are you ready for Fall? I know I sure am. I am ready for the cooler temps, sleeping with the windows open, and the start to the holiday season. These are just a few of the reasons I get super excited for this time of year.
Along with all the fun things that Fall brings to us we cannot forget to prepare our home for the change in season. Here are some great tips and tricks to help you get ready along with one of my most favorite fall dessert recipes, because lets get serious here… who doesn’t love to eat!
- Check around your home for any cracks that might need to be repaired in your driveway, patio, and home. This will keep out any moisture and stop it from expanding this winter.
- Hit up the yard on a nice warm day. Clean up all the leaves and fallen limbs, trim up those trees and bushes, and clean out your gutters. Depending on the type of grass you have, this is also a great time to fertilize your yard and even fight off those horrible weeds in hopes that they don’t reappear in the spring.
- Cover all of your outdoor plumbing so that you wont have any frozen pipes when winter hits
- Make sure you clean out your fireplace and hire a professional to make sure it is safe to use this winter. There isn’t nothing better than curling up in front of the fire on those chilly evenings.
- Check out all the windows and doors to make sure they are sealing up properly. This will help keep your utilities down and those cool drafts from creeping in.
- Lastly, don’t forget to check your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors. Change out those batteries. Its better to be safe than sorry. If you cannot afford smoke detectors for your home, check with your local Fire Station or the Red Cross for assistance.
Now for the real important stuff
Apple Pecan Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
4 cups – granny smith apples chopped into small pieces
2 cups – granulated sugar
1/2 cup – vegetable oil
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13
In a large bowl, combine apples and sugar then stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
In another mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to the apple mixture, stirring until well mixed. Add milk and stir. Add pecans and stir.
Bake 30-40 minutes
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
* I double this recipe for frosting my cake *
8 oz cream cheese – room temp
1/4 cup softened butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, add vanilla and brown sugar. Mix until light and fluffy and sugar has dissolved. Keep refrigerated.