Shopping for a new home is FUN!
Going through the home buying process is EXCITING!
Moving.. lets get real for a minute, that part isn’t fun or exciting.
Luckily for some of us, there are some really great moving companies that love to pack up families and move them anywhere from across town to across the country. But if you’re like me and love to be the one in charge, you will probably plan to do it yourself. Packing can be overwhelming and its not something you can do last minute so you have to be very organized and start early.
Here are some really great tips to help make packing and moving so much easier!
8 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Start sorting through to decide what you want to take with you to your new home and what can be donated or sold. Just think, the more you get rid of, the less you have to pack!
7 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Purchase packing supplies. You will need lots of boxes in all different sizes, packing tape, bubble wrap, etc.
- Start gathering important records such as tax documents, mortgage documents, legal documents, and utility bills and keep in a safe place, easy to find.
- Plan a garage sale to start selling your unwanted items. This will save you from having to pack and sort through items you don’t even want after the move.
6 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Check into the new school enrollment process for the kids. Most schools will enroll your child with a copy of the purchase contract on your new home.
- Arrange to have school, vet, and medical records transferred if needed.
- If a storage unit is needed, start finding one to move unneeded items into. PODS are a great to utilize since you can load it up right in your driveway as you fill the boxes.
5 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Finalize your moving date
- If you are using a moving company, make sure you are on their schedule.
- If you are renting a moving truck or getting a POD, make sure you are on their schedule for pick up and/or delivery.
- Begin packing non-essential items and areas of your home that are not used often. Basements, garages, attics, can all take longer that expected.
- As you pack your boxes, label each box with the destination and contents.
4 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Notify utility companies regarding the closing out of current utilities (the date after your closing date is when you should have them scheduled to be turned off), and turned on the utilities of your new home for the day of closing. This includes: electric, gas, water, trash, telephone, internet, cable, sewer.
- If you are renting, notify your landlord. They usually ask for a 30 day notice. Find out what you need to do to ensure you get your security deposit returned.
- File a change of address with the post office. This takes time to be processed so you want to make sure you give them plenty of notice.
3 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Start working to use up all the food you have in the house. Freezer and cold foods aren’t the easiest to move and have to be one of the last things you pack on moving day, the more you use up before the big day, the easier it will be.
- Line up your new home owners insurance. If you’re switching companies or planning to shop around, this is a great time to start that process.
- Dispose of any flammables, corrosives, and other items that you’re not allowed to pack and move
2 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING
- Time to pack like crazy!! Mark sure you label your boxes and even color coding them so you know what room they need to be taken to once you arrive at your new home.
- Set aside all the valuables and keep them in a safe place till moving day.
- Arrange for cleaning to be done on your old home and your new home so that it is ready when you arrive.
- Change your address. Contact your banks, credit card companies, attorneys, doctors, health insurance, financial planners, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, church, pharmacy, and any home care providers such as lawn and landscape companies.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVING
- Confirm your closing date with your real estate agent, title company, and lender.
- Confirm your moving date and time with the moving company or your reservation for renting a moving truck or POD.
- Pack your essentials. Prepare a suitcase or special marked boxes with the items you will be needing immediately after move in. Make sure you take these along with the valuables, and your important documents with you, not packed away in the truck or POD. Some important items to think about: clothes, bathroom items, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, medication, shower curtain and liner, etc.
- Assemble a file for the new home owners of the home you are leaving. Any documents, booklets, receipts, etc. that the new owner might need once they have moved in. Write down any garage or alarm codes as well.
- Gather up your outside patio furniture, clean it down real good so its ready for your new porch. Drain and allow water hoses to dry so they don’t get moldy and stink up your truck or POD.
1 DAY PRIOR TO MOVING
- Make sure you have your ID and important documents needed for closing on your new home!
- Empty your refrigerator and freezer, defrost if needed.
- Finish packing items that are not needed.
Congratulations, you made it to the final day of moving. Make sure you do one final sweep through your home to ensure nothing has been left behind.
Reflect on the sweet sweet memories that were made and all of the wonderful new memories you will be making in your new home soon.